Have you ever been at the point where your blog is consuming so much of your life that it's beginning to affect your life negatively?
Maybe it could be having a negative effect on your relationships.
Maybe it could be having a negative effect on your health.
Listen to This Episode
In this podcast episode, Serena Appiah and I have a candid discussion about bringing life into balance so that your blog doesn't ruin your life.
Inside This Episode
Serena Appiah is a member of the Become A Blogger community and over the last few months we have become great friends.
A few weeks ago, we were on Skype talking about life and blogging and came to the realization that this would make an excellent topic to discuss on a podcast.
We have both been at that point where things were getting out of control and we had to make some significant changes. Serena even blogged about it before.
Coincidently, Greg Hickman tweeted at me a few days ago saying this:
@LeslieSamuel can you do a post on how you manage your full time job and your blog (in the early stages) so that your wife doesn't hate you!
— Greg Hickman (@gjhickman) August 2, 2013
I told him we would be dealing with that topic in this episode, so here it is.
Here are some of the specific things we talk about:
- How we got to know each other
- Times when we've felt like our blogs were consuming us.
- How to have balance as a blogger.
Some of the steps we recommend include:
- Keep life in perspective
- Understand WHY you are blogging
- Decide what DOESN'T need to be done and stop doing it
- Create a schedule
- Get disciplined
- Drop the attitude
- Get some help
- Embrace imperfections
Of course, in our discussion, we go back and forth about these topics and really dig deep into this issue of balance.
Our hope is that by listening to our struggles and our suggestions, you'll be able to take things away that will help you find the balance you may be looking for.
If you are trying to get your blog started, our Free Blogging Videos don't even require an opt in. Just head over there and watch them 100% FREE of charge and build a blog where you can Create Content, Inspire Others, and Change The World. Click Here to Watch Them.
- If you'd like to record an intro for this podcast, like Kim Hall did in this episode, go ahead and record it and send the audio file to help (at) iamlesliesamuel.com.
- If you have a suggestion for what Google should do next (you have to listen to my intro to understand), go ahead and call it in to the hotline at (888) 835 – 2414.
- If you have a question that you'd like for me to answer on the show (or a suggestion/comment you want me to hear), also call the hotline at (888) 835 – 2414.
- SideHustleHq.com – Kim Hall's (who made the intro for this epsiode) blog.
- help (at) iamlesliesamuel.com – where to send your podcast intro recordings for Learning with Leslie.
- MobileMixed.com – Greg Hickman's blog.
- The Happy Housewife – Toni's blog, one of the people I got to meet in Chicago with Serena.
- Serena Appiah's blogs:
- When Passion Ruined Your Life – Serena's post where she talks about how passion, though good, can ruin one's life and how to fix it.
- Episode 049 – Where I talk about outsourcing some parts of your blogging business.
Some people just love being able to read along with interviews, or they might just prefer to skip the audio completely and just read through the transcript. Hey, if that’s what floats your boat, it is all good. Here’s the transcript just for you
About The Podcast
Learning With Leslie is a podcast dedicated to helping you build a business around a blog. No, not one of those blogs that will fall by the wayside when Google has a mood swing, but one that will thrive no matter what gets thrown at it.
I share tips and strategies that I’ve learnt building blogs since 2008 and interview experts who are knowledgable about various aspects of blogging so that we can learn from their experiences.
If you’re a blogger, thinking about becoming a blogger (pun intended) or are not even sure if blogging is right for you, go ahead and tune in to see what this blogging thing is all about.
How to Subscribe To The Show